Help Desk Software & Beyond
June 24, 2017, 06:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
To post messages you need to register. We apologize for inconvenience, but this is to prevent spam.
Registration is instant (no email verification) and we do not ask for any personal information.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Help Desk Software forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: user login error? (failed to open lock file)  (Read 33526 times)
goaloha

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »

I'm new to the community and more of a web designer than a coder, but I have the Trouble Ticket system installed (MS SQL, File Attachment & Layout Designer addon's purchased) and everything worked fine from the setup.cgi file.

When I login I see the HelpDesk and the blank fields and am able to navigate through the "tickets" etc. links at the top, (I'm on a MAC running OSX) but my boss gets this message when he logs in:

Error acquiring lock (failed to open lock file)

It shows his name at the top of the HelpDesk, so it recognises him in some way, but this message appears and it doesn't let him navigate through the admin area. (He's on a PC running Windows XP)

Does anyone Know why this message is appearing and how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,
John
Alex
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:37:37 AM »

Please read this thread

http://forum.unitedwebcoders.com/index.php/topic,56.0.html

Follow me on: LinkedIn
goaloha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »

thanks for referring me to that article Alex, but I don't see how it wasx fixed...

you wrote:
"What is your server configuration? I assume Windows + IIS?"

and their next response was "YES, we fixed it!"

The site is hosted with Interland on Windows servers if that helps???

Is there a fix for this? What did they do to make it work out? is it permissions?

Please give me a little more help on this.

Thanks,
John
Alex
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »

The script needs full access rights to its data files. Normally the script always runs with a dedicated user ID of a web server process and the ID does not depend on the end user permissions. I am aware that some creative minds at Microsoft introduced an option to use Windows authentication and dynamically change user ID of the web server process to match the one of windows user. If you decided to use this scheme there will be no workaround. The data directory must be fully accessible by all authenticated users.

I would suggest reconfiguring your server to use single user ID for IIS process.

goaloha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »

OK, I reset some permissions on folders (ttx.cgi open to all browsers) which works great now on my Mac, but the host (Interland) cannot change the IIS process because we're on a shared server. Is there any way to allow access to the data directory you refer to below? Is there another specific directory (or directories) that I can set permissions to all browsers to make this thing work?

Please help...
goaloha

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »

what I was refering to 'below' was your last post that said:

"...The data directory must be fully accessible by all authenticated users."
goaloha

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »

It turns out that because of our shared hosting account with Interland ;-( we cannot reset the IIS permissions, so failed attempt, but I was able to install it on a Linux mySQL server with a different host (Total Choice Hosting) ;-) and it's working great!

Too bad I already bought the module for MS SQL and now I need the one for mySQL because that's what we can get it to work on  Angry

Any way we can swap modules with you Alex?
Alex
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »

Sure, just post a message to help desk with your account info (user ID).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: